Sultan Al Qassemi tops index of the most connected tweeters in the Middle East
Portland publishes most comprehensive map of Twitter connectivity between influencers across the Middle East
Commentator Sultan Al Qassemi tops How the Middle East Tweets , a ranking of the 500 “most connected” Twitter users in the region.
The study, being launched today in Abu Dhabi, establishes the most comprehensive map yet produced of connectivity between influencers across the region. Portland has analysed the influencers in each country and then ranked them in terms of how many other key tweeters in the Middle East follow them.
The study reveals that:
- Sultan Al Qassemi, the UAE-based commentator, is the region’s most connected Twitter-user
- Second place is held by the region’s most connected woman, Dima Khatib, a Syrian-born Palestinian journalist currently based in Qatar
- In third place is Wael Ghonim, the Egyptian Google executive turned political commentator
- Over a quarter of the top 50 places are held by women
- Over one quarter of the top 50 are government officials and members of Royal families.
- One in three of the top 50 are political activists
- # Bahrain, # Syria and # Lebanon were the most commonly-used hashtags among the most connected
- Politics and current affairs were the main topics, with four in five of the top users tweeting about politics more than any other issue
- Egypt’s Twitter users have the most connections across the region, followed closely by those in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia
- Among survey respondents, over half mainly follow people in the Middle East, while just one in five mostly follow Twitter users outside the region
Mark Flanagan, Portland’s Partner for Digital Communications, says:
“While journalists and commentators are very active in the Middle East Twittersphere, it is interesting to see more politicians and government officials on Twitter, gaining influence and engaging with citizens and the media. It is clear that Twitter is seen as a valuable and increasingly mainstream platform “.
Using data collected between July and September 2012, Portland mapped the 500 most connected Twitter users in the Middle East and tracked their conversations. As a result, Portland has created the first ever comprehensive map of the most connected tweeters and countries.
This analysis was complemented by a survey of the top 500 most connected Twitter users.
The top 10 most connected Twitter users in the region are as follows:
Top 10 most connected Twitter users in the Middle East
|1||Sultan Al Qassemi||@ SultanAlQassemi||UAE|
|2||Dima Khatib||@ Dima_Khatib||Qatar|
|3||Wael Ghonim||@ Ghonim||Egypt|
|4||Mohamed El Baradei||@ ElBaradei||Egypt|
|5||HH Sheikh Mohammed||@ HHSkhMohd||UAE|
|6||Nabeel Rajab||@ NABEELRAJAB||Bahrain|
|7||Rania Al Abdullah||@ QueenRania||Jordan|
|8||Khalid AlKhalifa||@ KhalidalKhalifa||Bahrain|
|10||Turki Al-Dakhil||@ TurkiAldakhil||Saudi Arabia|
Suggested hashtag: # MidEastTweets